Friday, September 11, 2009

Looking in from the other side


Posted for September 7, 2009
For an early lunch, I went off on my own and took the free shuttle to Front Street in Lahaina. Recommended by a friend of mine, Cheeseburger in Paradise is located seaside. I was seated faced in front of the ocean and ordered their original cheeseburger with bacon, a side of seasoned fries, and a tall beer with a souvenir glass. It was delish! After Cheeseburger in Paradise, I went to the gelato shop next door and ordered a scoop of the Big Island Mac Nut Crunch. I enjoyed it on a sidewalk bench facing the ocean. Feeling the food comatose after the Gelato, I headed back to the hotel and took a nap.

After my two hour nap, I meet up with my family at the pool. We were trying to decide what to eat for dinner prior. My brother in-law suggested BBQ. We agreed. We had dinner at 7 pm at Smokehouse BBQ Bar & Grill located kitty corner to Front Street. The food was great. We asked the server why people liked Mixed Plate and threw in that their food was so much better than Mixed Plate. He explained that the view and quantity is what tourists like – for the price. The exact reasoning I had conjured up earlier. When in Maui, I recommend going to this joint rather than to Mixed Plate. He then went off on talking about Maui, The Tourists, and the Locals.
In summary:

1. Tourist don’t know how to drive
a) They tend to cause most of the traffic accidents from looking at the sites rather then driving.
b) They drive to fast not thinking they’re streets are freeways
2. Economy hits them late
3. Filipinos run Hawaii (the service industry is mostly employed by Filipinos)
4. 90% of Filipinos in Hawaii are Ilocano
5. People will ask if you Ilocano rather than if are you Filipino
6. Hawaiians thought Ilocano was the country rather than the Philippines
7. Filipinos are more hard working that the Haoles
8. Japan won the war with complete ownership of all the resort prior to selling them off