Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Layover in Japan


Posted for January 23

On Saturday January 21st my brother in law picked me up at 7:45am to take me to the airport. At the Airport (SFO) I had a meal at Andale with a couple beverages and boarded my plane at 11am. I stayed up for most of the flight watching movies and had a couple 5 min power naps in between. I don’t’ know what it is about Airplane food, but it makes me super gaseous. Thank goodness they’re usually non-scented.

I arrived in Japan on Sunday January 22nd at about 4:45pm Japan Time (1 hour behind the scheduled land time of 3:45pm). As I waited at the gate for my connecting flight, an announcement of the flight being delayed was made. There were mechanical issues that were being resolved. After an hour and a half I boarded the plane and dozed off in my seat while waiting for take off. An hour later, I woke up to another public announcement asking all passengers to disembark. We were instructed to go to a designated area and obtain information for accommodations for the evening.

Put up at Hotel Nikko Narita a shuttle bus was also provided. Check in was a breeze. Breakfast and dinner was included with the accommodations. The room was small and the bathroom appeared to be a pre-manufactured room. The toilet had a beday. Yes I used it. On my bed was a complementary Pajama. I have to give it to the Airline Staff at the Narita Airport; everything was taken in care of with no hiccups.

The room was super hot. I opened the curtains and put my hand on the window. It was cold. I couldn’t figure out how to turn the heat down so I turned it off. I figured the window was cold enough to cool the room.

Later on the evening I awoke from my room phone ringing and the alerts from my cell phone. My plan of cooling the room worked as I found my self tucked under the down comforter. The alerts from my cell phone were from messages left by a friend of mine who was going to pick me up at the airport in Singapore. I tried to text him back but my phone was not cooperating. I called the front desk to obtain the message left in the phone of my hotel room. The message was to obtain my Airline Ticket at the front desk. I immediately went down to kill any anticipation of what, when, where and how the arrangement for the flight to Singapore were planned. Looking at the ticket, it was scheduled to depart at 10:30 am.