Monday, January 30, 2012

Cravings

The area that I’m staying at must be posh. The reason why I have come to this assumption is because of the fact that I’ve seen more Ferraris, Porsches, and Maseratis in a 5 day span than in the past 3 years.

I noticed a Japanese restaurant tucked in a small plaza near my hotel while I was exploring yesterday. I’ve been craving for Sukiyaki in the past 3 months, so I decided to head over there and give it a shot. Prior to walking into the restaurant, I peeked around the plaza. There was an electronic store and several other restaurants- Korean, Filipino, and Churrascaria. Seeing the Churriscaria, with a huge sign in their front patio stating the pork knuckle was their specialty of the evening, I had to take a look. I spoke to the waiter. He explained the menu, their specials, and their happy hour. The happy hour consisted of a bottomless glass of wine with appetizers for $22 SGD. I had a huge smile on my face and was tempted, but because I was craving for Sukiyaki, I said thank you and I’ll return later.

Waraku Restaurant has 3 locations in Singapore. The one I dined in is located near the Roxy Center in the Katong area – behind my hotel. Priced at $17.80 SGD, I ordered the Udon Sukiyaki with a bottomless cup of green tea that was priced at $1.30 SGD. The soup base was delicious. Not salty, nor too sweet. However, the meat was a bit tough. That was expected, as Singapore is not known for having top quality meat. Overall, I enjoyed the sukiyaki and would return if my craving returns.