Monday, January 30, 2012

Breaking In My New Flip Flops With Old Gawkers

Posted for January 24
Before I had arrived, I had set my mind on my first meal in Singapore - Hainanese Chicken Rice; and that’s exactly what I had last night for dinner. With the majority of all businesses closed, from the Lunar New Year celebrations, I was able to find a Hawker stand. It was ok, but good enough.

I woke up at 5 am and had breakfast at the hotel. After cruising the Internet, I got ready and walked the neighbor hood to the Geylang district. Not knowing how far of a walk didn’t concern me since I had the whole day to myself. I left the hotel at about 10:30 am.

After an hour of walking and with no map in hand, I reached the Geylang district with no issues. I saw a conjugation of old men and was curious to see what was going on. As I got closer to see what was going on, I quickly realized they were all gawking at the “working women” who were posted along the sidewalk adjacent to the main street. Just like the men who were ogling, the “working women” were old and dirty looking.

Feeling hungry from walking, I ate across the street. I had chicken rice and Tiger Beer. The chicken rice wasn’t that good, but it didn’t really matter as I was hungry and thirsty for a beer. After the meal I explored the area a bit more then headed back to the hotel.

I got back at about 3:30 pm. My feet were hurting and I had a small gash (strawberry) on top of my left foot caused from the sandals rubbing on my feet. I wanted to break in my new slippers/sandals, so I wore them and walked in them for a total of 10+ miles. The pain was so intense, that even walking bare footed in my hotel room caused pain. I sat in one of my chairs with my feet raised for half hour then decided to go swimming. I figured dunking my feet in the pool would help alleviate the pain, and cleansing my sweaty self in the pool would be refreshing.

After 2 hours in the pool, I cleaned up and had dinner at a place called Ajisen. I’ve never heard of it but found out they’re a global chain famous for their ramen. I was tired, thirsty, and was craving for Ramen. I ordered the Aso Volcano Ramen, which was a spicy soup base with pork, egg, and other good stuff. After dinner I walked for just a bit – with shoes this time - and ran into a bar next to my hotel. I took a peak inside and found it filled with old service girls. I closed the door right away and headed back to my to my room.

I went to bed at 9