Sunday, October 2, 2011

SFO >> OGG


Posted for Sunday September 18

Upgraded to First Class. What an awesome way to start to my vacation! First stop, the Buena Vista Café. It has basically become a ritual for me at SFO. Get here early and get some Irish Coffee. After several glasses and a nice little conversation with a patron, I headed to my gate. Already fueled with the Irish Coffees, as soon as I took my seat in the plane I ordered a Mimosa. Why the heck not right?! Free drinks in 1st class! Half way through the flight and several more drinks later, it dawned on me that I’ll need to drive my rental in a few hours. I took one more drink and tried to sober up with 2 cups of regular coffee.

I arrived at the OGG airport and headed directly to my rental. With alcohol coming out of my pores, I was surprised they handed me the keys to my rental. Just before leaving the lot, they smiled at me and said, take a couple shot for us. I smiled and took off. The drive to Lahaina from the OGG airport is about 45 minutes. I was here in Maui 2 years ago for my Sisters wedding so I’m familiar with the area and I know what the drive is like into Lahaina. There’s a scenic stretch on a 2 lane highway that hugs the coastal cliff. An awesome view that becomes hazardous from drivers ogling at the oceanic Hawaiian Seas.

I got to my hotel, checked in, and met up with the bride and groom, along with their family, for some food at Da Kitchen. It was located right in front of my hotel. I had a meal on the flight, which I totally forgot till now, and was still hungry from all the drinking. I ordered a Loco Moco and a Hurricane to wash it down with. Mixed with Bacardi 151, the waiter cautioned me how the strong the drink is. My friends laughed as I said, don’t worry, my veins flow with 151. We waited a bit before our food arrived due in part that the Watier, Bartender, and Host was all the same person. Short staffed to say the least. I felt sorry for her and even asked her if I could help. She smiled at me and said that she’s ok. So I downed my drink and ordered another one.

After the meal and drink, I headed back to my hotel for a nap. An hour later I met up with some other friends and hung out at their hotel located 2 blocks away from mine. After an hour of hanging out, I headed back to my room, picked up a 6 pack of beer and Hawaiian nuts, and slept for the rest of the day. Dunzo at 4PM.